Director:- Mallam Shehu Ahmed Kurba
- Cartography(Carto) Department is one of the core Technical Departments that deals with spatial aspect of Commission’s activities.
- It leverages cutting edge technology in its dissemination of accurate and reliable data to enhance vital policy formulation by government.
To create an enabling spatial platform for accurate, reliable and acceptable surveys and census activities.
To Create and Maintain a National Geographic Frame for Census and Surveys Using High Level Cutting Edge Technology .
}Goals and Objectives
The department’s goal and objectives are shaped and directly linked to that of the commission’s.
- To Produce Geo-referenced Imagery Operation Units (Maps) With All Buildings And Other Landmarks Properly Polygonised (Delineated) And Geo-coded Using.
i High Resolution Satellite Imagery (0.5m).
ii GPS And GIS Technology With Validation By September, 2015.
- To provide cartographic resources for the Commission.
- To create Meta-data for all the Commission’s geo-data elements.
- To identify and authenticate localities for gazetteer processes.
- To update all administrative boundary adjustments due to socio-economic changes that occurred.
- To organization efficient storage, retrieval and working systems of spatial data.
- And finally the production and reproduction of these EA map frame for censuses and survey exercises.
- Periodically Carry Out:
- Capacity building : In house and external (local and international) trainings.
- Attending of workshops, conferences and seminars to enhance and improve skill acquisition.
- Periodically collaborate with other Ministries, Department and Agencies (MDA’s) for holistic transformational development of the nation.
- Periodically updating of the nation geographic frame.
- Periodically updating of our hardware and soft ware for efficient service delivery.
}Specifically, Carto Department Will Ensure
- The use of the best technology in the production of a national EA frame for the Commission.
- The production of Census Operational State and LGA (EA) Maps that will ensure full national coverage, accurate, reliable and acceptable enumeration activity.
- Production of Post Census Thematic Population maps.
- Production of geo-data base, that will key into the National Geo-Spatial Data infrastructure that will be universally accessible.
- Ensure that our database is user friendly and explanatory.
- Revenue generation for the commission through the department’s products and services.
- }StructurePersonnelThe Cartography Department has four Divisions, each headed by a Deputy Director all of whom are professionals in the field, focusing on an efficient and effective service delivery.
These Divisions are;
- Field Operations and Quality Control
- Automated Mapping and Geographic Information System (GIS)
- Reproduction of Thematic Maps
- Map Research and Archives.
- Functions of each DivisionAll the above named Divisions perform specific and well articulated functions. However some of the functions overlap in some areas.
- The Field Operations And Quality Control DivisionThe Field Operations and Quality Control Division is charged with the following responsibilities;
- Detailed logistics planning of field exercises for the States and LGA offices.
- Collation of field and quality control of field returns.
- Documentation of field returns for completeness and outstanding.
- Standardization quality of all field products
- Management and processing of incoming service requests to the Department including in-house servicing of requests from other Departments.
- Planning the logistics for training of ad-hoc staff for field exercises
- Designing the content of training required for the different field exercise.
Automated Mapping and GIS Division
Automated Mapping and GIS Division performs the following functions:
- Processing of High Resolution satellite imagery for the Commission
- Automation and digitizing of features on satellite imagery
- Delineation of EAs on satellite imagery
- Coordinate transformation
- Application of other GIS procedures
}Map Reproduction Division
Map reproduction division performs the following functions in collaboration with other divisions:
- Digital capture of the manually drawn EA maps on to imagery.
- Edge matching of EAs and development of Digital National EA frame
- Large scale production and reproduction of maps and setting of standards for maps to be reproduced
- Train Staff in map design reproduction technique
- Off set (wet) reproduction of copies of documents and maps
- Reprographic (dry process) copying of documents and maps.
Map Research and Archive Division
The Division performs the following functions:
- Boundaries and EA updates
- Map dissemination of demographic changes and development trends
- Map storage and cataloguing for easy retrieval
- Map services and sales
- Determining local and International training needs
- Generating gazetteer of place names and compendium of localities.
}Services available in Cartography Department
The Department has a well equipped Geographic Information System (GIS) Laboratory that renders services to Ministries, Agencies and Non Governmental Organisations (NGOs). Among the services rendered are:
- Provision of well Annotated Satellite Imagery,
- Maps of States and LGAs,
- The list of localities per LGA,
- Printing and scanning of map,
- Training in the use of Global Positioning System (GPS),
- Plotting of field returns, and
- Reproduction of sampled EA frame.
The department has a technical to support staff ratio of :
Technical – 95% ; Support 5%
The department adopts a collaborative leadership style, that
shares responsibility, involves active staff participation at all
levels, through team work which ensures total commitment to
the growth and optimal running of the department.
Shared Values Of Cartography Department